Why? Aspirin contains salicylic acid and benzyl peroxide; both of these ingredients are used in products that treat Acne. It also has anti-inflammatory attributes.
How? Its easy. Crush two uncoated aspirins (using the back of a spoon) and mix them with a few drops of hot water. Once you have a white paste, apply it on the problem area and wash it off after 15 minutes. Combine the treatment with an oil free moisturizer as it can dry out your skin.
- Raw honey. The paste will stick better and won’t flake, it kills the bacterias and acts as a moisturizer (good for dry skin).
- Lemon juice. If you have oily skin, use lemon juice instead. Check out the recipe for the Aspirin & Lemon Juice Mask Here.
- Tea tree oil or witch hazel oil. Both have astringent and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Aloe vera. Reduces inflammation associated with acne cysts and increases your skin’s immunity system.
- Do not try this if you are allergic to Aspirin!
- Risks of overdose and intoxication. The Aspirin will be absorbed into your bloodstream, so I would use it as a local treatment (2 pills) as opposed to a face mask (8 pills) – Better be safe than sorry!
- Only use twice a week and do not continue the treatment if you’re still breaking out.
- If, after using the aspirin mask, you feel any adverse effects (dizziness, vomiting, nausea) seek medical attention immediately.